lunes, 10 de octubre de 2011

My HESTEC experience


“Most of the fundamental ideas of science are essentially simple, and may, as a rule, be expressed in a language comprehensible to everyone,” according to Albert Einstein. Unfortunately, the community believes that scientific works and science itself has to be difficult and, hence, prefer to stay away from it and pursue different careers. Consequently, many Universities and different organizations address this concern informing the public with more accurate information about Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) professions. The University of Texas- Pan American (UTPA) recognizes the importance of enhancing scientific learning as well as the need for STEM professionals in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV). Therefore, UTPA engage resources in a yearly one week project, the Hispanic Engineering, Science and Technology (HESTEC) week, to inspire and engage students in the STEM related careers, provide for internships and employment for Senior Undergraduate students and to involve the entire community to inform them about the STEM careers. Many events take place during HESTEC week, some more entertaining than others, among these a science symposium that allow many scientists to present the results of their research.
The HESTEC Science Symposium allows many scientists, some from different Universities, to present their research in front of a vast audience that consists of fellow scientists and students. For a great number of scientists, it is a great way to validate their work because otherwise not many would probably read or listen to what they have to report about their research and it also gives students the opportunity to earn some extra points in a few classes or skip class for that day.
Personally, I attended the Symposium for curiosity although a few points for Biochemistry class were also a strong motivation to attend. As soon as I walked in, I recognized many of my previous and current professors who seemed rather excited to observe what I believe are boring presentations. Dr. Zen depicted on the picture on the left, Dr. Fredensborg, Dr. Banik, his afro, and his massive ego all depicted on the second picture, Dr. Bhat, and Dr. Vitek among others were all seating with an anxious look and seemed rather social and normal for the first time. As I walked upstairs, I faced a very important decision. Where to sit? The room was full because Bill Nye “the science guy” was going to talk for about an hour. I glazed around and pondered if any of the professors actually believed students were there to listen to their very important research. Dr. Banik probably was trying to bring afros back, I believe, since his hair seemed particularly messy that day and since he was seating on the first row, I presume to make everyone else in every row behind able to look at his hair. Right behind Dr. Banik, maybe a couple or rows behind, was Dr. Fredensborg and Dr. Zen Faulkes. They were conversing and I learned, for the first time, that professors are rather normal outside of class. Who would have thought professors had friends? Just kidding. I pondered what that conversation could have been about, probably about some sort of parasite inside some sort of crustacean. Soon thereafter, I discovered a few empty seats. One was very close to Banik, who I am obviously not very fond of, and another to a weird guy wearing a transformer costume. I did not do very well in Organic Chemistry class and as soon as I finished that course I promised to try to avoid Dr. Banik. On the other hand, I did not want to be seen and remembered as “the guy seating next to the weird guy in the transformers costume.” What if someone confusingly related us as friends or acquaintances? I have a reputation to withhold, therefore, I preferred to walk all the way to the back of the auditorium and stand, at least until Bill Nye’s presentation was over.
Bill Nye was presented and the crowd was insane. I had never before seen such a massive amount of students cheering and sincerely enjoying his presentation. Bill Nye’s presentation was rather entertaining although not very informational. I learned that I need to “change the world,” something which I already realized, but I believe Bill Nye mistakenly forgot to tell me HOW! However, I still enjoyed his presentation particularly how he allowed the audience to dictate most of his presentation through questions and how readily he was to answer, even the stupid questions.
Bill Nye illustrated how a few skilled people are able to make sciences entertaining. Maybe if professors used a similar approach they could actually “change the world” and enhance STEM career teaching and practice. Very few gifted professors, like Dr. Zen, are able to communicate and teach in this manner. However, I believe that if more people adopted a similar approach more students would be able to learn and pursue a STEM career.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario